Senior Director for Quality, Advocacy and LEAP Initiatives
The Association of American Colleges and Universities (AAC&U), the leading national higher education organization committed to improving the quality of undergraduate education, seeks a talented, self-motivated, productive, and creative individual for the position of Senior Director for Quality, Advocacy and LEAP Initiatives. The Senior Director will report to the Vice President of the Office of Quality, Curriculum and Assessment and will have responsibility for leading AAC&U’s national and state-level leadership, advocacy, and policy presence related to issues of quality in undergraduate student learning; and for leading AAC&U’s agenda, grounded in the LEAP initiative, to advance educational quality initiatives within state systems and state-based consortia.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Participate as a member of the AAC&U senior educational affairs leadership team; represent AAC&U’s vision, strategic priorities, and programmatic activities at external events, conferences, meetings, and on member campuses;
- Lead national advocacy efforts to advance liberal education and inclusive excellence, including overseeing AAC&U’s public and employer research and outreach; and, in close coordination with the President, staff the LEAP National Leadership Council and the Presidents’ Trust;
- Provide proactive intellectual and practical leadership for the LEAP States initiative in coordination with the senior leadership team; and in collaboration with the projects and work of the office of Quality, Curriculum, and Assessment, particularly the VALUE initiative;
- Conceptualize, secure funding for, participate in, and/or direct projects as developed by the office or other program offices;
- Act as a liaison and maintain communication and correspondence with multiple constituents, including policy, campus, business, and community leaders
- Communicate and partner with key AAC&U staff regarding publications, databases, conferences, and other project activities; conceptualize and supervise composition and maintenance of web resources;
- Write and edit materials for dissemination of project and grant reports, and other AAC&U publications and reports as needed
- PhD required; 5-7 years’ teaching experience plus 3-5 years’ leadership experience;
- Record of excellence in teaching and program leadership/administration
- Excellent communication (written and oral), interpersonal, and research skills;
- Public campus- and/or system-based experience with institution-wide and/or multi-institution educational reform efforts;
- Understanding of higher education issues, especially general education and related policy, student transfer and policy, liberal education outcomes, accreditation, assessment, and improvement of achievement and retention for underserved students;
- Proven record of fundraising and effective management of projects, budgets, and programs.
- Demonstrated experience in developing strategic relationships and engaging in national and/or state-level dialogues around issues of educational policy and quality;
- High level of familiarity with the LEAP framework for undergraduate education: learning outcomes, high-impact practices, authentic assessment, inclusive excellence;
- Vision and enthusiasm for designing, launching, and sustaining advocacy initiatives;
- A collaborative approach to building both internal and external working relationships;
- Strong track record of program or reform implementation; demonstrated ability to manage a variety of key initiatives concurrently with excellent attention to detail and follow-through.
Salary commensurate with experience; exceptional benefits. Please submit a letter of interest with salary requirements and CV to: AAC&U, Box SDQ, 1818 R Street, NW, Washington, DC 20009 or to email@example.com by November 10, 2016.
AAC&U believes that a broadly diverse staff is critical to achieving excellence as a national higher education association. We seek to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. We are fully committed to equal employment opportunity and compliance with the full range of fair employment practices and non-discrimination laws.