Research Associate, Office of Quality, Curriculum, and Assessment
The Association of American Colleges and Universities (AAC&U), the leading national higher education organization committed to improving the quality of undergraduate education, seeks a talented, self-motivated, productive, and creative individual for the position of Research Associate in the Office of Quality, Curriculum, and Assessment (OQCA). The successful candidate will report to the Senior Director for Research & Assessment, and work collaboratively with the OQCA team to support projects under or related to OQCA initiatives, including AAC&U’s signature initiative, VALUE, as well as significantly contribute to other office initiatives as they arise. The Research Associate is a full-time staff position.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Research Associate will help to coordinate and manage OQCA’s research projects; provide administrative support and higher-level budget management to OQCA initiatives, including grant-funded projects; contribute to the development of AAC&U’s capacity to engage in original research; and contribute to OQCA’s capacity to provide assessment and evaluation support to the organization.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Provide logistical and administrative support to OQCA’s large-scale, grant-funded projects involving multiple organizational/institutional partners;
- Design new and/or maintain existing databases critical to the work of OQCA and AAC&U;
- Support the preparation of analytical reports and research papers;
- Support OQCA’s work with publications such as the International Journal of ePortfolio;
- Support the creation and curation of OQCA materials, resources, presentations, etc. for both internal and external audiences;
- Assist, as needed, with planning and executing other OQCA events, such as the Summer Institute on General Education and Assessment;
- Serve as a liaison between OQCA and the other AAC&U offices in support of cross-functional projects, including but not limited to providing data analyses/support as requested by other AAC&U offices; and
- Meaningfully contribute to other office needs as they arise.
- Bachelor’s degree and five to seven years’ professional experience in a fast-paced professional setting.
- Demonstrated experience successfully executing a large-scale project, from conceptualization through completion.
- Proficiency in two or more of the following software packages: SPSS, MS Excel, MS Access, NVivo, or similar statistical and qualitative software packages.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office.
- Experience designing, creating, and/or managing relational databases.
- Ability to work effectively in settings of social and intellectual diversity.
- Ability to take direction, assume increasingly independent responsibility, and provide appropriate follow up on project-based work.
- Strong analytical, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a collaborative environment.
- Master’s degree in education, public administration, business administration, or other social science/related field.
- Proficiency with APA formatting for research/peer-review journals.
- Working knowledge of the literature on learner-centered assessment and evaluation, general education, rubrics as an assessment tool, and high impact educational practices.
- Experience managing and/or creating large datasets.
- Experience working on multi-institutional/multi-organizational projects.
- Experience providing project management/support to grant-funded initiatives.
Salary commensurate with experience; exceptional benefits. Application materials and salary requirements should be forwarded to email@example.com , or to AAC&U, Box HR, 1818 R Street, NW, Washington, DC 20009. Review of applications will begin on September 10, 2017. Required materials include: 1) a cover letter outlining qualifications and skills; 2) most recent resume/CV; 3) a writing sample; and 4) contact information for three references.
AAC&U believes that a broadly diverse staff is critical to achieving excellence as a national higher education association. We seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. We are fully committed to equal employment opportunity and compliance with the full range of fair employment practices and non-discrimination laws.