Liberal Education and America’s Promise (LEAP) is a national advocacy, campus action, and research initiative that champions the importance of a twenty-first century liberal education—for individuals and for a nation dependent on economic creativity and democratic vitality.
LEAP responds to the changing demands of the twenty-first century—demands for more college-educated workers and more engaged and informed citizens. Today, and in the years to come, college graduates need higher levels of learning and knowledge as well as strong intellectual and practical skills to navigate this more demanding environment successfully and responsibly.
Launched in 2005, LEAP challenges the traditional practice of providing liberal education to some students and narrow training to others. Through LEAP, hundreds of campuses and several state systems are making far-reaching educational changes to help all their students—whatever their chosen major field of study—achieve a set of Essential Learning Outcomes fostered through a liberal education.
LEAP embraces a 21st-Century Definition of Liberal Education and promotes:
- Essential Learning Outcomes—as a guiding vision and national benchmarks for college learning and liberal education in the 21st century
- Principles of Excellence—offering both challenging standards and flexible guidance for an era of educational reform and renewal.
- High-Impact Educational Practices—that help students achieve essential learning outcomes
- Authentic Assessments—probing whether students can apply their learning to complex problems and real-world challenges
- Inclusive Excellence—to ensure that every student gets the benefits of an engaged and practical liberal education.
LEAP leaders also work to engage the public with core questions about what really matters in college and to connect employers and educators as they build new partnerships and make the case for the importance of liberal education in a global economy and in our diverse democracy.
For more information about the LEAP initiative, please see our "Introduction to LEAP" brochure.
See Slide Presentations on: