Truth, Racial Healing & Transformation (TRHT) Campus Centers
AAC&U is partnering with higher education institutions to develop Truth, Racial Healing & Transformation (TRHT) Campus Centers to prepare the next generation of strategic leaders and thinkers to break down racial hierarchies and dismantle the belief in the hierarchy of human value.
The twenty-nine institutions selected through a competitive process to host TRHT Campus Centers are:
- Adelphi University (NY)
- Agnes Scott College (GA)
- Andrews University (MI)
- Austin Community College (TX)
- Big Sandy Community and Technical College (KY)
- Brown University (RI)
- Dominican University (IL)
- Duke University (NC)
- George Mason University (VA)
- Hamline University (MN)
- Jacksonville State University (AL)
- Marywood University (PA)
- Millsaps College (MS)
- Oklahoma State University—Tulsa (OK)
- Otterbein University (OH)
- Rutgers University—Newark (NJ)
- Southern Illinois University–Edwardsville (IL)
- Spelman College (GA)
- The Citadel, The Military College of South Carolina (SC)
- University of Arkansas–Fayetteville (AR)
- University of California, Irvine (CA)
- University of Hawai’i at Mānoa (HI)
- University of Maryland Baltimore County (MD)
- The Charlotte Racial Justice Consortium (University of North Carolina Charlotte, Johnson C. Smith University, Queens University of Charlotte, Central Piedmont Community College, and Johnson and Wales University of Charlotte) (NC)
- University of Cincinnati
The TRHT Campus Centers have developed and are implementing visionary action plans with the aim of moving the needle on the transformative goal of erasing structural barriers to equal treatment and opportunity on campuses, in our communities, and for our nation around the pillars of the TRHT Framework: narrative change, racial healing and relationship building, separation, law, and economy. Additional information on the TRHT Framework can be accessed here.
AAC&U convened the inaugural TRHT Campus Centers Institute in January of 2018, and the second TRHT Campus Centers Institute took place at Villanova University from June 25 – June 28, 2019. Due to COVID-19 the 2020 TRHT Campus Centers Institute was held, viturally, from June 16 - 19, 2020.
The annual TRHT Campus Center Centers Institute is central to building the capacity of new and existing TRHT Campus Centers to further the vision of the TRHT effort. Participating teams will engage with AAC&U’s national evaluators, a resource development specialist, experienced racial healing circle facilitators, and members of existing TRHT Campus Centers. Attendees will receive a copy of AAC&U’s Guidebook for Implementing TRHT Campus Centers and the Scale of Implementation Tool.
The goal of this effort is the development of at least 150 self-sustaining, community-integrated TRHT Campus Centers. AAC&U is looking forward to partnering with higher education institutions across the country to prepare the next generation of leaders to dismantle the belief in the hierarchy of human value and confront racism in our society.
Read more about the TRHT effort here.